Monday, February 8, 2016

First Time at Ma Mon Luk

It was Chinese New Year yesterday and it’s a special Holiday. My friend Gilbert invited me to shoot the festivities along Ongpin Street in Binondo (district in Manila). I came along with a 50 mm lens, since last year I took pictures of it using my kit lens 18-55mm.

Before heading for Ongpin Street, we passed by R Ma Mon Luk restaurant – I believe it’s the oldest mami and siopao house in Manila. This is my first time to dine at this famous restaurant. I had beef mami while Gilbert had the special mami (I believe it is pork).

The experience was like travelling back in time – since the ambiance of the restaurant looks exactly like in the old movies. The flooring is not tiles (its pebbles), it’s not air-conditioned, the furniture are made of wood, it has high ceiling with fans and even the containers for the condiments are “retro”.

The beef mami is really delicious, although a bit pricey for me (P130) considering the size of the bowl. I’ll probably try the siopao next time.

IMG_9619

Prices of Ma Mon Luk’s famous mami and siopao.

IMG_9620

IMG_9623

Portrait of the founder, R. Ma Mon Luk.

IMG_9625

The pebble-finished flooring of Ma Mon Luk.

IMG_9626

IMG_9631

IMG_9633

The Special Mami at P120.

IMG_9634

The Beef Mami at P130.

IMG_9635

IMG_9640

Ma Mon Luk still uses the traditional wooden steamers instead of the popular aluminum.

IMG_9642

The full name of the restaurant is R. Ma Mon Luk. It’s located a few meters away from Quiapo Church in Manila.

Technorati Tags: ,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment